Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

Three Inspiring Websites



Three websites that inspire me:

1) Xtranormal.com

We all know xtranormal.com because of the Geico commercials. The site provides a movie-making service for the masses. I spent a large part of my day today creating the video seen above. If you enjoy it, great! If not, well then I wasted several hours. Fun times though. I suppose I could have written this post without making the video, but people believe what you do, not what you say.

According to their mission as stated on the site: "Movie-making, short and long, online and on-screen, private and public, will be the most important communications process of the 21st century." Agreed. Now you can make movies from your living room with your keyboard.

2) Modcloth.com

Modcloth.com is the most beautiful, simply designed, and addictive shopping site I have ever visited. They sell vintage and retro clothing, accessories, and decor. The "New Arrivals" are updated several times throughout the day with limited quantities. If you are like me, the "newness" of the merchandise will inspire you to visit daily and dream about pretty new outfits. The uniqueness of the items will enliven your fashion sense.

3) Ted Talks

TED started in 1984 as a conference about Technology, Entertainment and Design. Since then, the conference has spread to inspire speakers around the world to gather and give talks about ideas that can change the world. Hundreds of Ted Talks are available on the website to watch for free, most of them 15 minutes or less in length. I encourage everyone to watch as many as possible, one short video in particular I love is Jake Shimabukuro playing "Bohemian Rhapsody" on the Hawaiian ukulele.


On the internet especially, a picture is worth a thousand words. A video is probably worth closer to 10,000. Honestly, no matter how many words, we would all probably still enjoy a picture.

Words, written or said aloud, can inspire. When accompanied by pictures or videos, the experience becomes infinitely more dynamic. President John F. Kennedy made a national goal of putting a man on the moon with a speech. The speech was inspiring. However, the footage of Neil Armstrong stepping on the moon completely transfixed the nation. Everyone watching realized the impossible was possible.

These three websites allow me to dream, to stretch my imagination beyond what I previously thought possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment